July 2, 2011

Le Port "Pocket" is Le Healing!

Happy Saturday, all. Wishing everyone a happy, healthy, and safe 4th of July weekend. Get up and go out!

The picture below is one I took on a walk the day my port was inserted (June 17). It was a beautiful, sunny day in Colorado and the Highline Canal Trail was just the right place to walk for miles and let my mind wander.

The Highline Canal Trail - 66.56 miles in total!
Picture taken near DeKoevend Park.

Since then, my port "pocket" has been healing. This past week, the medical tape over the skin pocket came loose. That provided a perfect opportunity to take some pictures and show you all what a port pocket looks like for those that are wondering. But first: a picture of what a my port looks like:

Picture courtesy of: www.bardaccess.com.

Here's what it looked like this week:


See? It'll be a small, 1 inch scar.


It doesn't stick out much, either!
  
The port is a titanium device that is silicone filled and has a polyurethane catheter. Just in case you want to know how it works with my biology, here's a little diagram that can explain it easier than I can with a paragraph of text. I think it's a neat bit of technology and really is a great device to have to help distribute the chemotherapy systemically.

Illustration courtesy of my PowerPort pamphlet.


4 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow--that is a slick little piece of technology. Thanks for showing it to us! It doesn't look so "bionic" on you as it sounded at first : ) So it looks like the needle has to puncture your skin each time (but does that mean that you actually have less chance of it getting infected since the hole will heal over each time)? Ever curious, I know... Hope you're enjoying your holiday weekend!

Anneliese said...

Very interesting, I made my friend Margret Pailka show me hers today and I thought ok now I know what Laura has, wrong this way is much better explained.
Thanks Süsse
You guys have a great 4th
Love Anneliese

Amber said...

Isn't science wonderful! How cool! It should be a small scar, too. Thanks for sharing the pics! Hope you guys have a great 4th! :)

Laura said...

Science is wonderful! Good question, Sarah. Let me find out and get back to you. It is WAY more convenient than them having to "tap" my hard-to-find arm veins each time!